Validating the results of a mocked object's function?

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM
I'm sure I'm going about this the wrong way, and I tried searching around but may not be using the right terms. Any help is appreciated.

So, I'm using a library, and because it deals with the file system, I'm mocking it (and thankful it has interfaces so that I can quickly do so!)

The object I'm trying to mock, which represents an excel worksheet, has a method essentially called "IsEmpty(boolean aBooleanToSet)".

I can write this up with Moq along the lines of:
mockWorkbook.Setup(m => m.IsEmpty(It.IsAny<bool>())).Returns(true);
My validator class is pretty simple and looks like the following:
    public class InvoiceDetailsWorksheetValidator : AbstractValidator<IXLWorksheet>
    {
        public InvoiceDetailsWorksheetValidator()
        {
            RuleFor(x => x.IsEmpty())
                .NotEqual(true).WithMessage("Worksheet must not be empty.");
        }
    }
I have the following test, using xUnit.net:
[Fact]
public void Validate_WithFirstWorksheetEmpty_ReturnsInvalid()
{
       // Get the otherwise valid worksheet
       var mockWorkbook = TestHelper.GetMockValidInvoiceDetailsWorksheet();

// Set the one specific value to a mocked failure
        mockWorkbook.Setup(m => m.IsEmpty(It.IsAny<bool>())).Returns(true);

// Pass the mock object to the validator
       var validationResults = new InvoiceDetailsWorksheetValidator().Validate(mockWorkbook.Object);

// Assert that the validator finds it invalid
       Assert.False(validationResults.IsValid);
}
When I run the test, rather than it passing, I see the following error from FluentValidation:
System.InvalidOperationException
Property name could not be automatically determined for expression x => x.IsEmpty(). Please specify either a custom property name by calling 'WithName'.
What am I doing wrong?
Oct 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM
In case folks prefer the StackOverflow environment, I've also put it up here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19116312/use-fluentvalidation-to-verify-a-mocked-function-result

Will also post back to this discussion thread if the issue is resolved there.
Coordinator
Oct 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM
FluentValidation expects rules to be defined on properties, but your rule is defined for a method - IsEmpty(). You'll need to explicitly specify a name (by calling OverridePropertyName as part of the chain).

Jeremy
Oct 1, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Perfect -- took me a second to find out that I had to add it on the end of the chain.

For those following along at home, the working validation rule was the following:
RuleFor(x=>x.IsEmpty())
    .NotEqual(true).WithMessage("Worksheet must not be empty.").OverridePropertyName("IsEmpty");
Thanks again for this great library and being such an excellent steward of it.